What are the risks of using glucose test strips?

The risks for glucose test strips are inaccurate results. It is important to follow the manufacturer's directions for use and storage of glucose test strips to reduce this risk. If you use your strips improperly, you may put yourself at risk for uncontrolled blood glucose levels, which can have dangerous consequences. Pay attention to the expiration date of glucose test strips and do not use them if they are past the expiration date. Typically, you will need to keep the glucose test strips dry and away from heat and cold. You should not use a glucose test strip if it appears to be wet or otherwise damaged.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Good Carb, Bad Carb: Do You Know the Difference?
Which do you think will raise your blood sugar more gently: Eating a whole orange or downing a glass of orange juice? The answer comes down to the qua...
How is body composition related to insulin resistance?
Reza Yavari, MDReza Yavari, MD
Body composition is the amount of muscle vs. fat we have, and how it's metabolized; those who have m...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?