Should I prepare my skin before using a glucose monitor kit?

There are several things you can do to prepare your skin when using a glucose monitor kit. Before starting, make sure that you have all the supplies needed to check your blood sugar level. You will need your meter, glucose test strips, lancets and a lancing device. You may also want your log book to track your levels. To get ready, clean your skin with alcohol or wash it with soap and water. Make sure your skin is dry before pricking yourself with the lancet.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.