What do I do if oral diabetes drugs do not help?

There is a possibility that oral diabetes medications won’t help you at all. Or they may help, but only for a while. Sulfonylureas stop working for 5 to 10 percent of people within a year. Eventually, they stop working for another 50 percent. If oral medications no longer help you reach your target blood glucose levels, adding insulin to your diabetes care plan is usually the next step.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Find a Diabetes Treatment Plan That Works for You
From extreme fatigue to an upset stomach, the list of side effects of medications jammed in at the end of drug commercials can be overwhelming. And it...
Do type 1 and type 2 diabetes occur at the same age?
People with type 1 diabetes are usually younger than those with type 2 diabetes. Watch the video to ...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?