How often should I plan on seeing my doctor if I have diabetes?

Elaine Koontz

The following guidelines might help you to better plan your appointments and tests:

• A1c test (if your blood glucose is not stable), blood pressure check, weight check, and foot check every three months
  • A1c test (if your blood glucose is stable) and dental exam every six months
  • Physical exam, comprehensive foot exam, blood cholesterol and blood fat tests, kidney tests, dilated eye exam, and flu shot annually

The frequency of medical visits required for your diabetes will vary according to how long you've had diabetes, your ability to adjust your treatment regimen effectively to maintain good blood glucose control, and whether you have diabetic complications or other medical problems that may interfere with your diabetes management.

At a minimum, all patients with diabetes should plan on seeing a doctor twice a year. Recharging your motivation to achieve good blood glucose control is an important part of every visit. You should have an A1C test done then, or if you are on insulin, you should have the test done quarterly to see how your blood glucose control is doing.

In addition, every patient with diabetes should have someone he or she can contact on short notice to discuss problems as they arise, such as unexplained high blood glucose or sudden illness. This person need not be a physician but may be a certified diabetes educator (CDE), registered dietitian (RD), nurse practitioner, or nurse case manager.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Go-To Resources for Diabetic Heart Disease Management
Diabetic heart disease (DHD) is a type of heart disease that affects those with types 1 and 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors, like diet, activity and str...
What is a healthy blood sugar level?
Having a high blood sugar level can mean you have diabetes. Watch as Dr. Oz explains what a healthy ...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
3 Ways to Gauge Your Type 2 Diabetes Risk