Do I need to see a dietitian if I have diabetes?

You may feel that you don’t really need a dietitian. Maybe you’ve seen sample meal plans recommended for people with diabetes that look easy enough to use. But remember, your meal plan is not a short-term diet that you can follow for a few weeks. You are developing a new way of eating that will stay with you throughout your life.

A dietitian can help tailor a meal plan to suit your tastes and schedule. As you reach goals or your lifestyle changes, you can remodel your plan to suit these changes. Products change, your life and health needs change, and you change. As these events occur, your dietary goals will change, and you will probably need a new plan.

Toby Smithson
Since diet plays a crucial role in managing diabetes effectively, it is very wise to meet with a dietitian if you have diabetes or are at risk for diabetes. A registered dietitian can explain how foods effect your blood sugar and how to reduce your risk for cardiovascular disease, kidney disease and osteoporosis.
Ximena Jimenez

When I see clients with diabetes, I notice that the majority comes with a lot of misinformation and confusion about their diets. It would be a wise decision to see a registered dietitian who will explain how eating certain foods will affect your blood sugars. He/she will also provide you with a meal plan that will help you meet your nutrient needs and avoid future medical complications. It is vital to maintain adequate blood glucose or sugar levels to achieve or maintain optimum health.  

Melissa Joy Dobbins
A registered dietitian has the knowledge and expertise to help you manage your diabetes through healthy eating, regular exercise, blood sugar monitoring and medication therapy, if needed. While other members of your diabetes team are also important, a registered dietitian is the only one with extensive training in how food affects your blood sugar and your overall health. Working with a dietitian can help you acheive your diabetes management goals and still eat the foods you want to enjoy.
Roberta Anding
With either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, a registered dietitian is an essential part of your treatment team. Look for an RD with who specializes in diabetes often indicated by the initials "CDE" after their name. You should also see an RD if you have prediabetes! According to the Diabetes Prevention Program, lifestyle interventions (diet and exercise) can reduce the converstion from prediabetes to diabetes by 58%! This is more effective than prescription medications!

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Develop Your Diabetes Action Plan
Managing diabetes requires care, commitment and planning. With your diagnosis, it’s helpful to develop an action plan that is specific to you. To dev...
How is body composition related to insulin resistance?
Reza Yavari, MDReza Yavari, MD
Body composition is the amount of muscle vs. fat we have, and how it's metabolized; those who have m...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
How Many People Currently Have Diabetes?