Will I still need my diabetes drugs if my blood sugar levels are normal?

After taking an oral diabetes medication for a while, you may find that your fasting blood glucose levels are consistently in the normal range. If you have normal readings for several weeks, it’s possible that you can manage your blood glucose levels by meal planning and regular exercise alone. Ask your health care team whether they suggest that you start a trial of not taking your pills. During this trial period, make sure to keep monitoring your blood glucose and stay in close contact with your health care team.
It's possible that you won't need your diabetes drugs if your blood sugar levels become normal. In some people with type 2 diabetes, losing weight, eating a low-fat/high-fiber diet, reducing stress and using other lifestyle strategies can help get their blood sugar levels into a normal range. As a result, they are able to reduce or stop their medications completely. Of course, you should never stop taking your medications without consulting your doctor first. But improving your health habits can not only make you feel better in the short term, it may turn around your diabetes and let you live a medication-free life. Talk to your doctor about the kinds of lifestyle changes that would be best for you.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
How can I evaluate a hospital’s reputation for diabetes care?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
There are three types of hospitals: city or county hospitals, private community hospitals, and hospi...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
When Managing Diabetes, Knowledge Is Power