Will I still need my diabetes drugs if my blood sugar levels are normal?

It's possible that you won't need your diabetes drugs if your blood sugar levels become normal. In some people with type 2 diabetes, losing weight, eating a low-fat/high-fiber diet, reducing stress and using other lifestyle strategies can help get their blood sugar levels into a normal range. As a result, they are able to reduce or stop their medications completely. Of course, you should never stop taking your medications without consulting your doctor first. But improving your health habits can not only make you feel better in the short term, it may turn around your diabetes and let you live a medication-free life. Talk to your doctor about the kinds of lifestyle changes that would be best for you.
After taking an oral diabetes medication for a while, you may find that your fasting blood glucose levels are consistently in the normal range. If you have normal readings for several weeks, it’s possible that you can manage your blood glucose levels by meal planning and regular exercise alone. Ask your health care team whether they suggest that you start a trial of not taking your pills. During this trial period, make sure to keep monitoring your blood glucose and stay in close contact with your health care team.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.