What should my target A1C or eAG be if I have diabetes?

A reasonable goal for most people with diabetes is an A1C of less than 7%, as the risk for kidney disease, eye disease, and other complications increases as A1C goes up. Researchers took patients’ A1C measurements in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial to see how well they were doing with overall control. The study subjects on intensive management lowered their A1C values dramatically -- even though they did not often reach their daily blood glucose goals. This improvement was seen after about 3-6 months of intensive management.
In addition to A1C, patients may also hear the term estimated average glucose (eAG). Estimated average glucose is a new way to report A1C results using the same units as your blood glucose meter (mg/dl). The American Diabetes Association’s target for results reported as eAG is 154 mg/dl.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
If you have diabetes, planning meals may seem at times like a walking on a tight rope. You can eat this, but not that. You can have some of this, but ...
How quickly does diabetes develop?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Diabetes, at least the most common kind, tends to creep up on its victims over a period of many year...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Is Diabetes Preventable?
Is Diabetes Preventable?