What medications can raise my insulin level?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Many diabetes medications work by increasing the amount of insulin made in your body.  These include medications in the sulfonylurea class—glipizide (brand name Glucotrol), glimepiride (Amaryl) and glyburide (Micronase and Glynase), and in the meglitinide class—repaglinide (Prandin) and nateglinide (Starlix).  Sitagliptin (Januvia) and saxagliptin (Onglyza) are also drugs that increase the insulin made by your body.  All of these are oral medications.  The injectable drugs exenatide (Byetta) and liraglutide (Victoza) also help your body make more insulin. 
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
If you have diabetes, planning meals may seem at times like a walking on a tight rope. You can eat this, but not that. You can have some of this, but ...
Why is my A1C high when my blood sugar levels are in my target range?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
I want you to picture a freshly fried doughnut hole, just out of the deep fryer. Steam wafts from it...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
If I've Just Been Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, What's the First Thing I Should Do?