What should I know about the user manuals for continuous glucose monitors?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Generally speaking, most CGM system manuals and user guides are simply awful. They tend to suffer from being written by engineers and legal departments, not by diabetics who have actually used them. On the bright side, none of these manuals is intended as light bedtime reading.

Manufacturers’ manuals are more like dictionaries—reference guide books to look up the spelling of a rarely used or obscure word. However, you can generally find PDF versions of the user’s manuals and quick start guides on the web. It is a great way to get a feel for the various devices you are considering.
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Go-To Resources for Diabetic Heart Disease Management
Diabetic heart disease (DHD) is a type of heart disease that affects those with types 1 and 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors, like diet, activity and str...
How can I include comfort food in my diabetes meal plan?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The most popular comfort foods contain lots of carbohydrate and fat (think macaroni and cheese), lea...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Can Diabetes Affect My Sexual Function?
Can Diabetes Affect My Sexual Function?