Where can I learn to count carbs to improve my blood glucose control?

Talk with a registered dietitian who can help you figure it out. There is usually one associated with your local hospital. If this is not a good solution for you, look for an Internet site with carb counting help. For example, you could try using the carb counting flash card deck made by Carb Cards. Each card has an image and the name of a type of food on it, along with the carbohydrate count for each item. You can combine the cards to build a food pyramid and create daily menus. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

Chris Embry
Fitness

There are a lot of great online nutrition journals including the "My Nutrition" section of your ShareCare fitness program that allows you to track your calories on a daily basis.  This will break down the calories by fat, protein and carbohydrates including fiber and sugar.  This is a great tool to monitor your diet and use it to analyze how you are doing and make adjustments to your plan.

In addition, a digital scale would also be a good investment.  By knowing the exact weight of the foods you are eating and then entering the amount into your nutrition journal, you can get a really good idea of how many carbohydrates you are eating. 

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

A Registered Dietitian can help you plan meals with an ideal carbohydrate amount at meals and snacks to promote blood glucose control. A diabetic clinic or community hospital can provide referrals to a Registered Dietitian.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Can You Spot the Signs of Ketoacidosis?
Can You Spot the Signs of Ketoacidosis?
If you have diabetes, you may have heard of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS), also known as hyper...
If I have diabetes, what special vitamins should I take?
Dr. Jacob TeitelbaumDr. Jacob Teitelbaum
Research shows that the antioxidants we get from food, such as vitamin C, can lower the risk of diab...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
How Does Vitamin D Prevent Heart Disease?