Where can I learn to count carbs to improve my blood glucose control?

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

A Registered Dietitian can help you plan meals with an ideal carbohydrate amount at meals and snacks to promote blood glucose control. A diabetic clinic or community hospital can provide referrals to a Registered Dietitian.

Chris Embry
Fitness

There are a lot of great online nutrition journals including the "My Nutrition" section of your ShareCare fitness program that allows you to track your calories on a daily basis.  This will break down the calories by fat, protein and carbohydrates including fiber and sugar.  This is a great tool to monitor your diet and use it to analyze how you are doing and make adjustments to your plan.

In addition, a digital scale would also be a good investment.  By knowing the exact weight of the foods you are eating and then entering the amount into your nutrition journal, you can get a really good idea of how many carbohydrates you are eating. 

Talk with a registered dietitian who can help you figure it out. There is usually one associated with your local hospital. If this is not a good solution for you, look for an Internet site with carb counting help. For example, you could try using the carb counting flash card deck made by Carb Cards. Each card has an image and the name of a type of food on it, along with the carbohydrate count for each item. You can combine the cards to build a food pyramid and create daily menus. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.