How might lack of sleep increase the risk of diabetes?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
There is increasing evidence that people who sleep less than 6 or 7 hours a night have a higher risk for diabetes. Researchers at the University of Chicago found that losing just 3 to 4 hours of sleep over a period of several days is enough to trigger metabolic changes that are consistent with a prediabetic state. The body’s ability to keep blood glucose at an even level declines significantly.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...
While sleep may not seem like it belongs in the same category as words that revolve around weight, it actually has everything to do with weight and whether or not you’re at risk for diabetes. Two fascinating studies prove it:

1. One study out of a sleep lab at Penn State College showed that insomniacs who slept only five to six hours a night had greater odds of developing diabetes.

2. The other study, this one from the University of Chicago and published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, demonstrated that sleep deprivation mixed with sedentary living and free access to food can change the body’s physiology to the point it resembles that of a prediabetic. In other words, the body’s insulin resistance and glucose tolerance shifts, leaning toward a dangerous condition that’s a precursor to full-blown diabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Manage Insulin-Dependent Diabetes With 90-Day CGMs
When you think of humans with implants, you may picture sinister movie characters like Dr. No with bionic metal hands or the Borg from Star Trek. But ...
What should I do if I take other medications along with diabetes drugs?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Oral diabetes medications come in pill or tablet form. Make sure you know when, how often and how mu...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?