What do I gain from knowing my blood glucose levels?

When you know your blood glucose level at a given moment, you can make informed diabetes management decisions. Maybe you decide to take a brisk walk when you find your blood glucose level is a little high after lunch. Or perhaps you just don’t feel right, and after a test, you know that it’s because your blood glucose is low, so you decide to eat a small box of raisins to prevent a severe reaction. You can take as many readings each day as you need and as your budget and fingertips can handle.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.