Is there a cure for diabetes?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There is currently no cure for diabetes. Diabetes is a chronic disease. A person diagnosed with diabetes will always have diabetes. The only change that a person can make is to be either controlled or uncontrolled. A controlled diabetic meets all dietary and laboratory goals, such as an A1C less than 7 percent, and/or fasting blood glucose levels of 70 to 130 mg/dl.

Today, more and more research dollars are spent on diabetes research, which experts hope will lead to the prevention and cure of diabetes. In the meantime, you can manage your diabetes better with:

• Home monitoring of your blood glucose levels
  • Controlling your blood pressure, and possibly monitoring your pressure at home
  • Following your individual diet

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Who Should Be on My Diabetes Healthcare Team?
Is Individual Education Alone Enough to Stop Obesity and It's Effects?
Are There Any Homeopathic Remedies for Diabetes?
How Can Weight Management Impact Overall Health?