Is diabetes serious?

Diabetes can cause serious complications if left untreated. If you have been diagnosed with any type of diabetes, it means that your blood glucose levels are too high, and you need a treatment plan to keep these levels within as normal range as possible. Elevated blood glucose levels, especially if sustained over a long period of time, can lead to cardiovascular disease, stroke, nerve damage, blindness, foot amputation, and other serious complications. By following a proper treatment plan, however, you can maintain a healthy, active life and avoid or lessen these types of serious complications.

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Complications from diabetes are devastating, often permanent, side effects of out-of-control diabetes that can kill you. I’m not smart enough to come up with a chilling enough word to replace complications, but we definitely need something better. If you develop complications, your life will be more than complicated. It will be awful.

Here’s the deal, straight talk, no feel-good bullshit: high levels of blood sugar can and will destroy every part of your body.

Diabetes can cause life-threatening metabolic complications and is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States. Some of the most serious complications are blindness (because of damage to the retina), chronic damage to peripheral nerves, and kidney failure. Diabetes also contributes greatly to other causes of death, such as coronary heart disease and cerebrovascular disease (disease of the brain and its blood vessels).

Millions of Americans are killing themselves with type 2 diabetes (also known as adult-onset diabetes), and it's threatening the physical and financial health of the entire world. "Diabetes, along with obesity, is looming as the biggest epidemic in human history," one researcher told Jeff O'Connell, author of Sugar Nation. At current rates, one of every three people born in the United States will become diabetic.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Diabetes Can Hurt Your Feet—And What You Can Do
People with diabetes often have problems with their feet. One common issue is peripheral neuropathy, which affects up to half of diabetes patients. Th...
What are the target blood glucose levels for pregnant women with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Typical blood glucose levels for pregnant women with diabetes are: Fasting 60-99 mg/dl, after meals ...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?