How likely am I to get insurance coverage for a continuous glucose monitor?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Nationwide, approval for CGM monitor for diabetes is still a bit patchy, with a dizzying array of requirements to get covered. Generally speaking, type-1s have an easier time getting covered than type-2s, especially if they are hypo unaware, have had more than three documented readings at or below 50 mg/dL in a month, and more especially if they’ve had an Emergency Room visit.

In theory, all it takes for approval of a CGM monitor is a signature on a form called a “Letter of Medical Necessity,” which also doubles as a prescription. Each CGM company has fill-in-the-blank letters for your doc on its website. In reality, it’s quite a bit more difficult. The insurance company will probably want to see your doc’s notes from the last two visits, recent lab work, and 30 days or more of fingerstick meter data.

It’s common to be rejected on the first round but approved on appeal.The insurance company has nothing to lose by trying to say “no.”  Don’t let their game get your blood pressure up, but be persistent.

Once covered, your CGM will be paid for by your health insurance under what’s called the Durable Medical Equipment, or DME, portion of your policy. Overall costs will depend on your coverage.
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Diabetes Can Hurt Your Feet—And What You Can Do
People with diabetes often have problems with their feet. One common issue is peripheral neuropathy, which affects up to half of diabetes patients. Th...
How can I still eat out now that I have diabetes?
Dining out can be an enjoyable experience for people with diabetes with a little advance planning. C...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
If I've Just Been Diagnosed with Diabetes, What Should I Know?