Why is it important to take my diabetes medicine?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Your doctor most likely wrote you some sort of prescription for your diabetes. You need to take it, but you need to know that your medications are a treatment, not a cure.

Diabetes progresses. It gets worse over time. You and your doctor will spend the rest of your life adjusting these medications as your age and weight change. Sometimes medications can be reduced. Sometimes they need to be increased. When the medications no longer do the job, new ones will be added. Simply put: Diabetes medications are important for your health. Taking them regularly will help you maintain that health.
Taming the Tiger: Your first year with Diabetes

If you ve just been diagnosed with diabetes, this book is for you! It is a fact. Getting a diagnosis of diabetes has the same impact on your body and soul as having a heart attack. Right now you are...
William Wien
William Wien on behalf of MDLIVE
Family Medicine
Maintaining adequate blood sugar control (Hemoglobin A1C levels below 7.0) is the most effective way of preventing or staving off serious long-term diabetic complications. These include vision loss (retinopathy), kidney failure, nerve damage resulting in sensory loss and/or chronic pain (neuropathy), heart attack, and stroke.
It’s important to take your diabetes medicine to keep your blood sugar levels as close to normal as possible. When blood sugar soars out of control or remains high, it can damage blood vessels and nerves throughout your body. High blood sugar increases your risk for heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, digestive problems, dental conditions and amputation of a limb.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Monitor Your Blood Sugar for Diabetes
How can you tell if the goals of your diabetes management plan are working to hold your blood sugar in range? The easiest way is to monitor your blood...
What fruits should I eat if I have diabetes?
Juicy, crunchy, fresh, low-calorie fruit is always a smart choice for the health-conscious nibbler w...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
How Is Gastroparesis Related to Diabetes?