If I have diabetes, how can I deal with people judging my food choices?

Phil Southerland
Healthcare
In the past there has definitely been a stigma associated with diabetes. Here I am, an athlete and one of the best controlled people with diabetes in the world, and I still get people who, when I’m drinking soda or eating cake, will say, “You can’t have that. You have diabetes.”

When I was younger it infuriated me, and I’d get mad and argumentative. As I’ve grown older, I realize it’s an opportunity I have to educate people. I would just suggest that if it’s possible, use it to educate your friends.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Screening and Diagnosis for Diabetes
Screening and Diagnosis for Diabetes
Diabetes is easy to prevent—if it's caught early enough. It's also the seventh leading cause of death in the United States, a fact that should motivat...
What is a hemoglobin A1c measurement?
If you have diabetes, your doctor should measure your A1C level a minimum of two times a year. (If y...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Are There Blood Glucose Meters That Will Transmit Information Directly to Your Doctor?