How much weight should I gain during pregnancy if I have diabetes?

If you start pregnancy at a normal weight, expect to add between 25 to 35 pounds. Women who start pregnancy too thin need to gain more. If you are obese at the start of your pregnancy, work with your dietitian to limit your weight gain to about 15-25 pounds. You can determine your healthy weight by finding your body mass index (BMI) level by using a BMI calculator.

Pregnancy Weight Goals:
  • If you're prepregnancy weight is underweight then gain 28-40 pounds
  • If you're prepregnancy weight is normal then gain 25-35 pounds
  • If you're prepregnancy weight is overweight then gain 15-25 pounds
  • If you're prepregnancy weight is obese then gain 11-20 pounds
These are averages to give you an idea of how much weight you should gain. Talk to your health care provider about your specific weight goals during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

About Diabetes and Glucose
About Diabetes and Glucose
When a person has diabetes, levels of glucose (also called blood sugar) are too high. Learn what is happening at the cellular level when a person has ...
What things should I keep in mind if I have diabetes?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
When you have diabetes, it can be hard to keep track of all the things you're supposed to do for you...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
To Improve Insulin Sensitivity, Reach for Lean Protein