How can I test my basal insulin dose during the day if I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, to test your basal insulin dose during the day you should skip breakfast if you can and then not eat until dinnertime. You'll need to prick your finger every two to four hours to give you the information needed to assess your basal dose of insulin. If you have a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), this is very easy.

A perfect basal insulin dose, or rate if you are using a pump, is the amount or rate that keeps your glucose values perfectly flat when you are fasting (not eating) but still doing your normal daily activities. Getting your basal insulin dose adjusted correctly is very important, whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and whether you are on a multiple daily injection (MDI) regimen or an insulin pump.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
If you have diabetes, it’s important to keep your skin healthy, moisturized and clean to avoid infections. But winter can pose some additional challen...
Is diabetes more common in some families?
Many people think that diabetes is a purely genetic disease, and of course, it sure would be nice to...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Kicking the Soda Habit
Kicking the Soda Habit