How can I test my basal insulin dose during the day if I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, to test your basal insulin dose during the day you should skip breakfast if you can and then not eat until dinnertime. You'll need to prick your finger every two to four hours to give you the information needed to assess your basal dose of insulin. If you have a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), this is very easy.

A perfect basal insulin dose, or rate if you are using a pump, is the amount or rate that keeps your glucose values perfectly flat when you are fasting (not eating) but still doing your normal daily activities. Getting your basal insulin dose adjusted correctly is very important, whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and whether you are on a multiple daily injection (MDI) regimen or an insulin pump.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.