How can I prevent dry mouth if I have diabetes?

Some people with diabetes complain of dry mouth. This may be caused by medicines you take or if your blood glucose is high. A dry mouth can raise your chance of getting cavities. This is because there's less saliva to wash away germs and the acids they create. Your best defense is to keep your blood glucose on target. If you have dry mouth, try:

• Drinking more water.
  • Using sugar-free gum or sugar-free candy to help keep your saliva flowing. Be careful, too much sugar-free gum or candy can add calories and cause gas or diarrhea.
  • Using saliva substitutes or special toothpastes that you can buy at the drug store.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Got Diabetes? 3 Ways to Protect Your Eyes
People with diabetes are at greater risk for retinopathy because of persistent high blood sugar levels. In this video, Robin Miller, M.D. offers criti...
If I have diabetes, what special vitamins should I take?
Dr. Jacob TeitelbaumDr. Jacob Teitelbaum
Research shows that the antioxidants we get from food, such as vitamin C, can lower the risk of diab...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Can Stress Affect My Blood Sugar Levels?