How can I prepare my teen with diabetes to deal with alcohol and drugs?

Here are some tips to help you and your child be prepared for situations where she's offered alcohol, cigarettes or drugs. These tips should also be helpful as your child transitions into adulthood when it becomes legal to drink (age 21) or is frequently around others who do (i.e., at college):

• Ask your diabetes team (D-team) to discuss the affects of alcohol, cigarettes and drugs on diabetes with your teen.
  • Ask your teen about their conversation with the D-team. Be sure they understand what happens when a person with diabetes drinks alcohol, or uses tobacco or drugs.
  • Discuss peer pressure. Share ways you handled these kinds of issues as a teen.
  • Listen closely and try not to sound like you're nagging.
  • Remind your teen to always have her diabetes supplies (D-supplies) and wear a medical ID bracelet or necklace.
Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

According to Eliot LeBow, a psychotherapist who specializes in diabetes, honest, open communication is key when discussing alcohol and drugs with teens with diabetes. Watch this video to learn how these substances affect people with diabetes and why it's important to be aware of the potential consequences of risky behavior.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Do You Know Your Macros?
Do You Know Your Macros?
A healthy diet may be the most powerful tool you have to manage your diabetes. If you eat a balanced diet and pay attention to portion sizes at meals ...
How is body composition related to insulin resistance?
Reza Yavari, MDReza Yavari, MD
Body composition is the amount of muscle vs. fat we have, and how it's metabolized; those who have m...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Why Is Healthy Muscle Mass Important If I Have Diabetes?