How often should I replace the lancet I use to test my blood sugar?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

The folks that make the lances will tell you to replace the needle every time you use it. Of course they do, they are in the business of selling you lancing needles. The truth is, you can use it many more times. How long? It depends how tough your hide is and how often you test. I know one
girl who uses a needle for a year. That’s extreme. I say use it until it hurts, then you know it is getting dull.

For most folks anywhere between aweek and a month is the lifespan for a lance. Odds are you’ll accidentally stab yourself when you change the lancing needle; if you do, go ahead and check your blood sugar. No point in wasting a perfectly good drop of blood.

The Born-Again Diabetic: The handbook to help you get your diabetes in control (again)

Much has been written about the explosion of diabetes on the world stage the 4,000 new cases a day we all know about, the millions of people unaware they have diabetes. But another epidemic is...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.