How can I manage morning blood sugar spikes if I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, the morning creates a perfect storm for blood sugar spikes: high-carb and sugary food options, insulin resistance and inactivity, time demands, stress -- and let’s not forget, caffeine.

Here are some ways people with type 1 diabetes can control their blood sugar levels in the morning:
  • Take insulin 20 or more minutes before eating carbs.
  • Wait a little while longer to take your pre-carb insulin if your blood sugar (glucose) is above target or when eating something really sugary.
  • Cut carbs; try scrambled eggs or have nuts for breakfast.
  • Eat nontraditional foods for breakfast such as almond flour, nuts and seeds or lentils.
  • Be active. Talk a walk after breakfast.
  • Use a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) to track your blood sugar in real-time and make adjustments after breakfast. You will learn what works and be able to better optimize your overnight insulin.
  • Eat a smaller, earlier dinner and don’t snack around bedtime.
Another tip is to consider more insulin at breakfast. I use a more aggressive morning correction factor and more early morning basal to cope with the higher insulin resistance during those hours.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.