How can I lower my blood pressure if I have diabetes?

First of all, diet and exercise, play an important role in blood pressure management. Eat healthy and take a walk. If you have a dog, take him/her on longer walks: it will benefit both of you. If not, see if you can find a walking partner.

If you are prescribed blood pressure medication, please take as prescribed.

Learn how to reduce stress in your life: yoga, meditation, listening to music, are just some ways this will help you.

To lower your blood pressure if you have diabetes, you should:

- Eat more vegetables and fruits! Eating more vegetables and fruits, along with low-fat dairy foods, whole grains, fish, poultry, and nuts, helps lower blood pressure.

- Reduce the amount of sodium (salt) you eat. Check food labels for sodium content. Most people should limit their sodium intake to 2,400 mg each day.

- Lose weight by eating less and being more active than you are now. Walking briskly for 20 minutes burns about 100 calories.

- Watch your alcohol consumption. Drinking more than 1 to 2 drinks per day is not helpful and may actually raise your blood pressure. Moderate amounts of alcohol reduce your risk of heart disease, perhaps by raising HDL (good) cholesterol levels. One drink is equal to 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or a shot (1 and 1/2 ounces) of distilled spirits.

- Quit smoking.

- Take your blood pressure pills as prescribed.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.