How can I lower my blood pressure if I have diabetes?

First of all, diet and exercise, play an important role in blood pressure management. Eat healthy and take a walk. If you have a dog, take him/her on longer walks: it will benefit both of you. If not, see if you can find a walking partner.

If you are prescribed blood pressure medication, please take as prescribed.

Learn how to reduce stress in your life: yoga, meditation, listening to music, are just some ways this will help you.

To lower your blood pressure if you have diabetes, you should:

- Eat more vegetables and fruits! Eating more vegetables and fruits, along with low-fat dairy foods, whole grains, fish, poultry, and nuts, helps lower blood pressure.

- Reduce the amount of sodium (salt) you eat. Check food labels for sodium content. Most people should limit their sodium intake to 2,400 mg each day.

- Lose weight by eating less and being more active than you are now. Walking briskly for 20 minutes burns about 100 calories.

- Watch your alcohol consumption. Drinking more than 1 to 2 drinks per day is not helpful and may actually raise your blood pressure. Moderate amounts of alcohol reduce your risk of heart disease, perhaps by raising HDL (good) cholesterol levels. One drink is equal to 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or a shot (1 and 1/2 ounces) of distilled spirits.

- Quit smoking.

- Take your blood pressure pills as prescribed.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Find a Diabetes Treatment Plan That Works for You
From extreme fatigue to an upset stomach, the list of side effects of medications jammed in at the end of drug commercials can be overwhelming. And it...
How does glucose monitoring relate to diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
When you finish the blood glucose check, write down your results and review them to see how food, ac...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Why Is Diabetes a Serious Health Problem for Older Adults?