How is low-dose aspirin used to treat people with diabetes?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Some people with diabetes can benefit from taking low dose aspirin (75 to 162 mg a day). This includes people with cardiovascular disease or a higher risk of it. The risk is higher in people over age 50 with diabetes and at least 1 other major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Major risk factors include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, too much protein in the urine, smoking, or a family history of cardiovascular disease.

Aspirin is not recommended for men or women under age 50 who have no other major risk factors for cardiovascular disease. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Go-To Resources for Diabetic Heart Disease Management
Diabetic heart disease (DHD) is a type of heart disease that affects those with types 1 and 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors, like diet, activity and str...
How can I evaluate a hospital’s reputation for diabetes care?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
There are three types of hospitals: city or county hospitals, private community hospitals, and hospi...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Do I Have to Prick My Skin to Test My Blood Glucose?