How do I know if Jardiance is right for me?

If you have type 2 diabetes, Jardiance (empagliflozin) may be an excellent treatment choice for you. It is a well-tolerated medication that, by itself, does not cause low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The medication can also help you lose weight. 

Jardiance may added-on to your current diabetes treatment plan or can be used alone. When used along with metformin instead of a sulfonylurea (such as glipizide or glimepiride), people have:
  • better reductions in HbA1c levels
  • weight loss
  • fewer low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) episodes
This drug may not be right for certain people with reduced kidney function. Your health care provider will order tests (eGFR or estimated glomerular filtration rate) to check your kidney function before prescribing Jardiance.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Got Diabetes? 3 Ways to Protect Your Eyes
People with diabetes are at greater risk for retinopathy because of persistent high blood sugar levels. In this video, Robin Miller, M.D. offers criti...
Can taking statins increase my risk of developing diabetes?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A compilation published in "The Lancet," which analyzed data from a number of large studies involvin...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
How Often Should Older Adults Be Checked for Diabetes?