How can I exercise to lower my blood sugar levels?

Men in a small study who added short, intense bursts of activity to mini workouts seemed better able to metabolize sugars. Each man worked out on a stationary bike three times a week for a minimum of 17 minutes per session. Sounds pretty doable. Then, during the sessions, they threw in a handful of 30-second bursts of high-intensity cycling. Again, not too taxing. After the bursts, they rested or cycled slowly for 4 minutes. Even better! The result? When the men were given the equivalent of a meal's worth of glucose at the end of the study, their bodies metabolized it better than before the study.

Researchers suspect that bursts of intensity during workouts elicit stronger contractions and therefore more glucose uptake in the large muscles attached to bones. But high-intensity cardio isn't the only type of exercise that can impact blood sugar.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Develop Your Diabetes Action Plan
Managing diabetes requires care, commitment and planning. With your diagnosis, it’s helpful to develop an action plan that is specific to you. To dev...
What is islet transplantation for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Some researchers believe that when a virus infects a body, it might somehow change the structure of ...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?