How can I eat healthfully at a picnic if I have diabetes?

Follow these tips to eat healthy at a picnic if you have diabetes:
  • Scout it out -- Survey the territory before scooping out any one dish. Check to see if there is a healthier alternative or smaller portion size farther down the table.
  • Just a dab will do ya -- With so many picnic temptations to chose from, take a small taste of some of your favorites. That should satisfy your craving and keep your meal plan on track.
  • BYOB -- Bring your own bottle -- of water that is -- and drink before, during, and after the picnic. Drinking water will keep you hydrated and make you feel fuller throughout the day.
  • Play ball -- Take a break from the picnic table with the other guests. Challenge others to a friendly game of Wiffle ball, Frisbee, horseshoes, or other outdoor games. If you are at a park, lace up your sneakers and go for a walk.
  • What can I bring? -- When in doubt, offer to bring a side dish or dessert. That way, you can control the ingredients and know exactly what you are eating.

This summer, the National Diabetes Education Program recommends enjoying picnics by selecting the healthiest food options. Choose lean meats, poultry, and fish, and limit your portion to the size and thickness of a deck of cards. Avoid meats that are higher in fat, such as hamburgers or barbeque ribs, as well as dishes made with fatty foods like mayonnaise, sour cream, or butter. Make sure your greens are lightly dressed, and add low-fat condiments like mustard to your sandwiches. Look for high-fiber summer vegetables like kale, spinach, and broccoli. When hydrating, drink water or unsweetened iced tea. If you choose to have alcohol, drink only with a meal and limit your consumption to no more than one drink (for women) or two drinks (for men) a day. Finish your meal with healthy summer fruits like watermelon or strawberries.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Give Yourself an Insulin Injection
It’s natural to feel anxious about giving yourself insulin injections, particularly if you’re not a fan of needles. But keep in mind: Insulin is injec...
How is body composition related to insulin resistance?
Reza Yavari, MDReza Yavari, MD
Body composition is the amount of muscle vs. fat we have, and how it's metabolized; those who have m...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Who Should Be on My Diabetes Healthcare Team?