How does Jardiance (empagliflozin) work?

Jardiance (empagliflozin) lowers your HbA1c and blood glucose in a very interesting way – extra glucose leaves your body when you pee (or urinate). 

The body is very good at soaking up any blood sugar in the urine back into your bloodstream. A protein located in the kidney called SGLT-2 (sodium glucose transporter) helps do this.  

Jardiance is a type of drug called a SGLT-2 inhibitor. That means it blocks this protein, so glucose leaves your body through the urine, lowering your blood glucose level.  The amount of glucose that is removed from the body into the urine with Jardiance treatment is about equal to 40-50 sugar cubes a day.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Types of Diabetes
Types of Diabetes
Diabetes affects people of all ages and from all walks of life. There are several types, but type 2 diabetes is by far the most common. Of the nearly ...
What health professionals are involved in treating diabetes?
Dr. Jennifer A. King, MDDr. Jennifer A. King, MD
Multiple types of doctors treat diabetes, including primary care, internal medicine, and endocrinolo...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
If I Lose Weight, Can I Stop Taking My Diabetes Medications?