How can diet affect the risk of diabetes?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Your diet did not cause your diabetes. There is a belief, a myth, a falsehood, that people with diabetes gave it to themselves by eating too many sweets or by being overweight. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are plenty of 300-pound sugar addicts out there who do not have diabetes.

You have to be special to join the diabetes family. Your body has to be designed for diabetes at the most basic level. Without getting too medical, your genes are either set up for diabetes or they are not. That is why diabetes often happens in families over many generations.
Taming the Tiger: Your first year with Diabetes

If you ve just been diagnosed with diabetes, this book is for you! It is a fact. Getting a diagnosis of diabetes has the same impact on your body and soul as having a heart attack. Right now you are...
For many people, a bad diet boosts their diabetes odds. Most Americans eat few fruits and vegetables, which puts them at risk for many health problems, including diabetes. In fact, one survey found that fewer than half of Americans eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables most days of the week. Of particular benefit are leafy greens, such as spinach, kale, and collard greens. One analysis found that eating slightly more than one serving of leafy greens a day (about 1 cup raw greens) can lower diabetes risk by 14%.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
When should I call the doctor about my diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have diabetes, call or go to the doctor or clinic if: Your blood sugar is too high (180 mg/...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Why Does Diabetes Cause Frequent Urination?