How does diabetes management affect my hospitalization?

Studies have shown that intensive diabetes management is beneficial for people with diabetes who are hospitalized. Your blood glucose control will affect how quickly you recover, how long you are hospitalized and whether you experience complications during your hospitalization. Your blood glucose needs to be monitored while you are in the hospital, and the results should be available to all members of the healthcare team. It is a good idea to talk to your provider before any scheduled hospitalization about the plan for achieving your blood glucose targets during your stay.

Insulin is the most effective and efficient way to keep blood glucose levels in your target range. Even if you are not on insulin at home, you may need insulin during your hospitalization. You can often go back to oral medications after you get better.

If you are acutely ill, need to be in an intensive care unit or are recovering from surgery, you should receive insulin intravenously. That way, the nursing staff can react very quickly to blood glucose levels that are too high or low and make adjustments in your dose.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Good Carb, Bad Carb: Do You Know the Difference?
Which do you think will raise your blood sugar more gently: Eating a whole orange or downing a glass of orange juice? The answer comes down to the qua...
What is diabetes advocacy?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
The word “advocate” means “to voice.” It’s important to remember that there are everyday opportuniti...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Who Should Be on My Diabetes Healthcare Team?