How will my diabetes affect my recovery time after surgery?

People with diabetes can recover about as quickly as anyone, but blood glucose levels can fluctuate around the time of an operation and high blood glucose levels can complicate your recovery and prolong your hospital stay.

Regardless of the cause of your hospital stay, it’s essential that your diabetes be closely managed the entire time you are there. By taking an active role and by doing everything you can, you can help yourself recover on schedule.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Whether it’s type 1 or type 2, having diabetes means you’re more likely to develop heart disease than those without the condition, more likely to deve...
What should I do if I take other medications along with diabetes drugs?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Oral diabetes medications come in pill or tablet form. Make sure you know when, how often and how mu...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
If I Lose Weight, Can I Stop Taking My Diabetes Medications?