How can I cope with my feelings after my child's diabetes diagnosis?

You didn't give your child diabetes -- and there's nothing you could have done to prevent it. Try not to blame yourself. And don't feel guilty about having to give injections or do finger sticks as part of diabetes care. It's natural to want to take away your child's hurt, and it's no fun when your child resists. But now that your child has diabetes, injections and finger sticks are part of life. So remember: You aren't hurting your child, you are caring for her.

Well-meaning friends or family may say you're lucky that your child's disease has been diagnosed and can be treated. But you probably don't feel very lucky right now. You may feel overwhelmed by all that you have to learn. You may feel frightened by what can happen if your child's blood glucose gets too high or too low.

These feelings are normal and appropriate. Diabetes is serious -- and you must take it seriously. At the same time, realize that with time and practice, you can learn the skills needed for proper diabetes care. The worry you may feel today will ease as you adjust to your "new normal."

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.