How can I cope with my feelings after my child's diabetes diagnosis?

You didn't give your child diabetes -- and there's nothing you could have done to prevent it. Try not to blame yourself. And don't feel guilty about having to give injections or do finger sticks as part of diabetes care. It's natural to want to take away your child's hurt, and it's no fun when your child resists. But now that your child has diabetes, injections and finger sticks are part of life. So remember: You aren't hurting your child, you are caring for her.

Well-meaning friends or family may say you're lucky that your child's disease has been diagnosed and can be treated. But you probably don't feel very lucky right now. You may feel overwhelmed by all that you have to learn. You may feel frightened by what can happen if your child's blood glucose gets too high or too low.

These feelings are normal and appropriate. Diabetes is serious -- and you must take it seriously. At the same time, realize that with time and practice, you can learn the skills needed for proper diabetes care. The worry you may feel today will ease as you adjust to your "new normal."

Continue Learning about Diabetes

9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
If you have diabetes, it’s important to keep your skin healthy, moisturized and clean to avoid infections. But winter can pose some additional challen...
What are the different types of diabetes?
The three most common types of diabetes are type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and gestational diabete...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Can Diabetes Affect My Sexual Function?
Can Diabetes Affect My Sexual Function?