How can I best communicate with my partner if our child has diabetes?

You aren't perfect -- and neither is your spouse or partner. Managing diabetes is a lot like juggling -- a careful balance of activity with food and medication. Even the best jugglers occasionally drop a ball. All you can do is pick it up and start juggling again.

You and your spouse will do things differently. You are different people and you can't read each others' minds. Remind each other that you are a team and a team works together. Ultimately, your goal is the same -- to keep your child healthy and happy.

Parent-to-Parent Communications Tips:
  • Ask questions and truly listen to each other's responses.
  • Share your honest feelings -- the everyday decisions on diabetes care and the deeper and darker emotions, such as guilt and fear.
  • Make decisions together. Be consistent in delivering your decisions. Your child will sense when you are not working together.
  • Set realistic expectations -- remember that no one is perfect.
  • Try to put yourself in the other person's shoes.
  • Stay calm and listen before you react.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Good Carb, Bad Carb: Do You Know the Difference?
Which do you think will raise your blood sugar more gently: Eating a whole orange or downing a glass of orange juice? The answer comes down to the qua...
If I've just been diagnosed with diabetes, what do I need to know?
Dr. Ronald Tamler, MDDr. Ronald Tamler, MD
If you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, you need to know the kind of diabetes that you have. In...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Prevent Diabetes With This Waistband Gadget