How common is diabetes in Native Americans and Alaska Natives?

Consider these sobering statistics from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Indian Health Service:
  • 2.2 times higher -- Likelihood of American Indians and Alaska Natives to have diabetes compared with non-Hispanic whites
  • 95% -- Percent of American Indians and Alaska Natives with diabetes who have type 2 diabetes (as opposed to type 1 diabetes)
  • 30% -- Estimated percent of American Indians and Alaska Natives who have prediabetes
American Indians and Alaska Natives are clearly at greater risk. Educate yourself on how to prevent type 2 diabetes if you don't have it now, or how to effectively treat it if you've been diagnosed.
Diabetes is more common in Native Americans and Alaska Natives than in any other group. According to the American Diabetes Society, the likelihood of having diabetes is 2.2 times higher in Native Americans and Alaska Natives. The larger majority have type 2 diabetes, a condition usually influenced by environmental factors like poor diet and lack of exercise. If you are a Native American or Alaskan Native, it is important to work together with your doctor to discuss your risks and steps you can take to prevent diabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Things to Know About Diabetic Heart Disease
The close association between diabetes and heart disease is well documented: Diabetes and prediabetes are listed among the top risk factors for corona...
How soon after I wake up should I check my blood sugar?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
First thing in the morning, before your feet even hit the floor, is “low tide” for your blood sugar....
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Prevent Diabetes With This Waistband Gadget