How should I choose a doctor for my diabetes care?

If you are looking for a new doctor, your visit should include some time for you to get to know each other. Make sure you feel comfortable talking about the details of your health and lifestyle with this doctor. You might ask:
  • Do you have special training in diabetes?
  • Are most of your patients people with diabetes? Do you see more people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes?
  • What tests will you do at regular office visits? How often will you order these?
  • What days are you not here? Who covers on nights and weekends?
  • What are your fees? Do you accept my insurance plan?
  • Are you associated with other diabetes care professionals, so I will benefit from a health care team?
  • Do you refer to an educator or dietitian?
Your doctor's support is important. Your insurance plan may require you to get the doctor's referral for visits to the other health professionals on the team.

Before you leave the office, ask the staff about other details, such as how long a wait patients usually have. Does the doctor's schedule run on time? Is there a set call-in time when you can talk to the doctor on the phone? What is the billing policy?

After the visit, ask yourself:
  • Did the doctor really listen to my concerns?
  • Was the doctor concerned about my diabetes control?
  • Did the doctor answer my questions?"

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.