How often should I check my glucose during pregnancy if I have diabetes?

You will probably need to check your blood glucose levels several times each day. If you take insulin, you may monitor before and after meals and at bedtime. If you have type 2 or gestational diabetes and are managing it through meal planning and regular exercise, you will need to check more frequently than usual.

When to Monitor

• Once before each meal
  • 1–2 hours after each meal
  • At bedtime
  • During the middle of the night, around 2 a.m.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
If you have diabetes, planning meals may seem at times like a walking on a tight rope. You can eat this, but not that. You can have some of this, but ...
How is body composition related to insulin resistance?
Reza Yavari, MDReza Yavari, MD
Body composition is the amount of muscle vs. fat we have, and how it's metabolized; those who have m...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Why Is There Such a Prevalence of Diabetes Today?