How do I check my child's blood sugar levels if he has diabetes?

Checking blood sugar levels involves taking a drop of blood, usually from the fingertip, and placing it on a special test strip in a glucose meter. Blood sugar meters are easy to use, and even young children often learn quickly how to do their own blood sugar checks. In order to properly manage diabetes, blood sugar levels are checked several times per day. A new device called a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system is available to test blood sugar and works much like an insulin pump and constantly displays an individual's blood glucose level on a screen. The CGM attaches to the body like an insulin pump, and the site must be changed at least every three to five days. It still requires a few finger pokes during the day but greatly reduces the number of meter tests.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Manage Insulin-Dependent Diabetes With 90-Day CGMs
When you think of humans with implants, you may picture sinister movie characters like Dr. No with bionic metal hands or the Borg from Star Trek. But ...
Why is educating patients an important part of diabetes management?
Nadine PazderNadine Pazder
No matter how many doctors you see or how many appointments you keep related to a diagnosis of diabe...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?