How much carbohydrate should I eat per meal if I have diabetes?

A place to start is at about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate at a meal. You may need more or less carbohydrate at meals depending on how you manage your diabetes. You and your healthcare team can figure out the right amount for you. Once you know how much carb to eat at a meal, choose your food and the portion size to match.
Vandana  R. Sheth

A healthy diet for someone with diabetes is one that is carb-consistent. The amount of carbs/meal varies. In general, aim for 30-45g carbs/meal for a woman and 45-60g carbs/meal for a man. Consulting with a registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator can help you better meet your specific needs.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Find a Diabetes Treatment Plan That Works for You
From extreme fatigue to an upset stomach, the list of side effects of medications jammed in at the end of drug commercials can be overwhelming. And it...
Is there an alternative treatment for diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
There are lots of alternatives when it comes to treating diabetes: Diet and exercise. This is a t...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?