How is my body mass index (BMI) related to my risk of diabetes?

Reza Yavari, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of obesity; though it's often used to determine diabetes risk, it could be a misleading indicator. Watch endocrinologist Reza Yavari, MD, explain why BMI should only be one factor when looking at diabetes risk.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Whether it’s type 1 or type 2, having diabetes means you’re more likely to develop heart disease than those without the condition, more likely to deve...
When should I call the doctor about my diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have diabetes, call or go to the doctor or clinic if: Your blood sugar is too high (180 mg/...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
How Often Should Older Adults Be Checked for Diabetes?