How can I keep my blood sugar in a healthy range during the summer?

Keeping your blood sugar in a healthy range during the summer is much like during the rest of the year, albeit, it may be more difficult given frequent barbeques and beach cookouts. To keep your blood sugars in a healthy range, it is important to avoid sugary snacks and beverages and foods with simple carbohydrates. This includes items such as soda, juice or sugary alcoholic beverages. It also includes snack items such as chips and baked goods. When attending social events, try to eat a healthy snack before or choose fresh fruits and vegetables at the event, rather than chips and dip.
Summertime can be good for your blood sugar. Just make sure you pack your picnic basket with whole-wheat buns, brown-rice salad and an oat-berry crumble.

With whole-grain foods like these, it will be smooth sailing. Studies show that nutrient- and fiber-dense whole grains help keep blood sugar levels quite steady.

Whole grains are chock-full of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins (especially B and E) and minerals (magnesium, potassium, selenium, zinc and -- whew! -- iron). All are great for your body in so many ways. But the real key here is fiber. It slows down digestion, keeping blood sugar on an even keel and insulin levels more stable. Vitamin E and magnesium might boost insulin sensitivity as well

Along with aiming for six servings of whole grains daily, try these other tricks for keeping your blood sugar in a healthy range:
  • Be choosy about your carbs. Get a breakdown of both good and bad carbs.
  • Invest in some comfy walking shoes.
  • Whittle your waist.
Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
Get a look inside one woman’s eyes, kidneys and pancreas to learn how her type 2 diabetes affects her body, as well as her daily life, with Sharecare’...
Should I avoid certain foods if I have diabetes?
Enas ShakkourEnas Shakkour
It is okay to eat bread if you have diabetes. However, you much watch how much you eat. Bread is a c...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
How Can Weight Management Impact Overall Health?