What should be my goals when I start monitoring my blood sugar levels?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
You should have several goals when you first starting monitoring your blood sugar levels, including blood sugar in the normal range, consistently, every time you check -- or at the very least, blood sugar readings in the acceptable range. Knowing how your blood sugar responds to different medications and doses, to meals, to exercise, to an overnight fast, and to the length of time between meals will help you craft a plan that is right for you. You'll find all this out with the help of your new best friend: a blood glucose monitor (also called a glucose meter), an electronic device that reads your blood sugar level. The numbers flashing on the screen of this little device let you know how well you're managing your diabetes.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.