What should be my goals when I start monitoring my blood sugar levels?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
You should have several goals when you first starting monitoring your blood sugar levels, including blood sugar in the normal range, consistently, every time you check -- or at the very least, blood sugar readings in the acceptable range. Knowing how your blood sugar responds to different medications and doses, to meals, to exercise, to an overnight fast, and to the length of time between meals will help you craft a plan that is right for you. You'll find all this out with the help of your new best friend: a blood glucose monitor (also called a glucose meter), an electronic device that reads your blood sugar level. The numbers flashing on the screen of this little device let you know how well you're managing your diabetes.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
Get a look inside one woman’s eyes, kidneys and pancreas to learn how her type 2 diabetes affects her body, as well as her daily life, with Sharecare’...
What is the glycemic index and can it help me with my diabetes?
The glycemic index classifies carbohydrate-containing foods according to how quickly they raise your...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
4 Tips to Fight Inflammation and Reduce Your Disease Risk