Where can I learn about diabetes?

Amy Campbell
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
If you or a loved one has diabetes, you should try and learn as much as you can about your condition. Websites, such as this one, can be very helpful, and the American Diabetes Association, Joslin Diabetes Center and DLife also have informative websites. But you should also consider meeting with a diabetes educator. A diabetes educator is usually a nurse or a dietitian (but sometimes a pharmacist or exercise physiologist) who has additional training in diabetes. An educator can teach you specifically about your diabetes, such as how to check your blood glucose, how to inject insulin, how to plan meals, how to exercise safely with diabetes and so much more. Ask your doctor for a referral to an educator (Medicare and most insurance companies cover visits). If you're having trouble finding an educator in your area, go to the American Association of Diabetes Educators' website at www.diabeteseducator.org and you can find someone near you.
Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
If you or someone you love is a diabetic, and you guys are not acquainted with the American Diabetes Association (ADA), make the connection. It’s one way to learn more about diabetes, keep abreast of research and new discoveries, learn about meal planning, and get a heads-up about ADA Diabetes Expos and other events in your area, among other things. You can connect with the ADA by visiting its website or by calling information or checking your local phone book for the ADA chapter nearest you. To contact the ADA by mail, write to: American Diabetes Association, ATTN: National Call Center, 1701 North Beauregard Street, Alexandria, VA 22311.You can also contact the ADA by phone, and the call won’t cost you a dime: 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383). Phone lines are open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST. Live help is standing by. Representatives can provide you with general information on diabetes and refer you to additional sources of information.
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Whether it’s type 1 or type 2, having diabetes means you’re more likely to develop heart disease than those without the condition, more likely to deve...
What should I know before I take a glitazone?
Your doctor will need to test your liver and kidney function before starting treatment. If you have ...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
How Often Should Older Adults Be Checked for Diabetes?