Should I always take blood from my finger when using a diabetic meter?

If you don’t like pricking your fingertips to get the blood sample needed for testing, newer models of diabetic meters allow you to use blood from your forearm, upper arm, thumb, calf, or thigh. Be aware, though that your results may not be accurate if you have recently eaten, taken insulin or exercised, or are sick or under stress. If you are experiencing symptoms of hypoglycemia and the meter reading does not indicate that you have low blood sugar re-test with blood from your fingertip.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.