Should I always take blood from my finger when using a diabetic meter?

If you don’t like pricking your fingertips to get the blood sample needed for testing, newer models of diabetic meters allow you to use blood from your forearm, upper arm, thumb, calf, or thigh. Be aware, though that your results may not be accurate if you have recently eaten, taken insulin or exercised, or are sick or under stress. If you are experiencing symptoms of hypoglycemia and the meter reading does not indicate that you have low blood sugar re-test with blood from your fingertip.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Give Yourself an Insulin Injection
It’s natural to feel anxious about giving yourself insulin injections, particularly if you’re not a fan of needles. But keep in mind: Insulin is injec...
How do I choose blood glucose goals if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
There are many factors to consider in setting your personal glucose goals: your age how long you...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
If I Lose Weight, Can I Stop Taking My Diabetes Medications?