How can I choose a blood glucose meter that’s easy to use?

Several features can make meters easier to use. Some models require a smaller-sized drop of blood. Ask how much blood is required for each model you might be considering. With some models, too little blood may give a faulty reading and you may need to repeat the test. This can be inconvenient at best but could be more of a problem for those with poor circulation in their hands or who must check blood glucose in cold environments. Ask your diabetes educator to show you how different meters work and to help you pick out one that is best for you.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
How should I prepare for an emergency if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Everyone is now advised to have a plan in place in the case of an emergency, and people with diabete...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Walking Marathons and No Holding Back!
Walking Marathons and No Holding Back!