What can I do to ease discomfort when I check my blood glucose in public?

Your feelings are natural. Your diabetes is your business and it should not be anyone else's unless you want it to be. However, finding a private place to check your glucose can be difficult. Look for a quiet corner, or even a restroom stall if that is the only private place you can find. However, you may be surprised how few people even notice when you check your blood in public.

Some of the new blood glucose monitors are smaller, quicker, and quieter, and that can help make the process less stressful. Finally, if there is no place at all where you would be comfortable checking your glucose while you are out, check just before you leave the house, and check again as soon as you get home. That way you'll have at least some information for making decisions while you are out.

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
I’m sorry that you feel uncomfortable checking your blood sugar in public, but the sad (or happy) truth is that most people simply do not pay any attention to their surroundings. I personally look for opportunities to talk diabetes with anyone who will listen. But you know what? I’ve never once gotten into a conversation with anyone after checking my blood sugar or taking a shot in public. Darn!

Everyone has so many small, sexy electronic devices nowadays that a blood sugar meter looks much like a cell phone or MP3 player.

All of that said, any public place has private nooks and crannies. If you are at a restaurant you can keep your hands in your lap beneath the table and have near utter privacy.

But of course, your discomfort is internal, not external. It has more to do about you than other people.

The question you need to ask yourself is why do you feel discomfort?

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Good Carb, Bad Carb: Do You Know the Difference?
Which do you think will raise your blood sugar more gently: Eating a whole orange or downing a glass of orange juice? The answer comes down to the qua...
Can drinking lots of water lower my blood sugar?
Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSWMr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
The answer is yes, indirectly it will reduce insulin resistance and help a person reduce their hunge...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
How Is Gastroparesis Related to Diabetes?