Should I let my doctor know I’m using glucose monitor kits?

If you use a glucose monitor kit, it is important to discuss your results with your doctor. Results from in-home glucose monitor kits are not as accurate as laboratory results. In fact, your laboratory results can be 10 to 15 percent higher than the results attained using your home device. Therefore, if you are only monitoring your blood sugar level at home, you may not know if you are pre-diabetic or diabetic. Further, your doctor can help you set up a glucose testing schedule that will give you the most accurate results.
Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Most of the time your doctor will be one who has asked you to start monitoring, so chances are that he or she knows that are you are, or should be, testing. But there is a very important point here: the usefulness of testing depends entirely on you keeping the right kind of record of your sugars. I think it is absolutely critical to use the kind of spreadsheet that is in most log books that come with meter to keep glucose readings done under the same circumstances together. That is, you want to have all your fasting numbers in one column, all of your 2 hour after-breakfast numbers in another column, all of your pre-lunch, post-lunch, pre-dinner, post-dinner, bedtime and 3 a.m. sugars in individuals columns with the date at the left. You can use the log book, make a simple written grid, make a computer spreadsheet or use software that comes with your meter. But simply bringing a meter to the doctor with the idea that he or she will scroll through the numbers or writing down all the numbers in one column without regard to whether they were before or after eating, etc., doesn’t allow either you or your doctor to do any real analysis of what happens during the day. That analysis is what will really help you take steps to improve your blood sugar control.  

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Protect Your Heart if You Have Diabetes
You’ve probably heard that diabetes is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. How major? According to the American Diabetes Association (AD...
Is it safe to take supplements if I have diabetes?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Supplements can cause real damage if they are taken improperly; some can have adverse effects with l...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?