What should I eat if I was just diagnosed with diabetes?

A diagnosis of diabetes can be overwhelming. The best possible first step is to seek the support of a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetic counseling and meal planning. There is a fair amount to learn, so why not learn from the best! Many of these dietitians also hold a special credential called Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE). Ask your health care provider to refer you to a CDE to get started on eating well with diabetes. Many insurance plans actually cover this medically necessary service.
William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
First and foremost, incase no one else said it: welcome to the family! Now that you have diabetes you’re part of a huge and growing family—you are not alone. There is a lot to learn and it is all new and confusing and you’re probably either pretty bummed or afraid. The bottom line is that you don’t have to learn everything at once. Take baby steps.

Now, as to what you can eat, there’s no diabetes diet. There’s no list of things you can eat and can’t eat. But there’s one thing you can’t drink: regular soda. It simply has too much sugar for your diabetic body and medicines to handle. For the purposes of our discussion, some bottled teas, energy drinks, and coffee or tea with huge heaping spoonfuls of sugar are honorary members of the regular soda family.

But all foods are still open to you. You may have to limit how much of them you eat at any given time, how often you eat them, or what you eat them with—but nothing is off the table. Literally.

A handy and simple rule of thumb is the white foods rule. Which simply says that foods that are white in color tend to raise your blood sugar more quickly than other foods. That doesn’t mean you can’t have them, it just means you should take it easy on them, ideally don’t let them be more than a third of your meal.

The white foods are anything made with sugar, flour, potatoes, or rice. Sugar things include candy, ice cream and cake frosting. Flour things include bread, crackers, and pasta. Potato things include French fries, baked, and hashed browns. Rice includes many breakfast cereals and both brown and white rice dishes. Corn is also an honorary white food, even though it is yellow; and cottage cheese and cauliflower, while white, have no significant effect on blood sugar.

On the other side of the coin anything that used to run, walk, crawl, slither, fly, or swim is a freebie. Sensibly sized portions of meat don’t raise your blood sugar. Nor do cheeses and green leafy veggies.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Develop Your Diabetes Action Plan
Managing diabetes requires care, commitment and planning. With your diagnosis, it’s helpful to develop an action plan that is specific to you. To dev...
How can I avoid overeating if I have diabetes?
It is important to avoid overeating to help prevent diabetes. But it's not easy. How you prevent ove...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Walking Marathons and No Holding Back!
Walking Marathons and No Holding Back!