Why is it important for a diabetes patient to have a yearly checkup?

Yearly physical examinations are important for everyone as a preventive health measure, but they are especially important for people with diabetes. If you have diabetes, you have a greater risk for developing diabetes complications, including damage to the eyes, kidneys, nervous system, heart, and circulatory system. You are also more susceptible to developing infections. That’s why a thorough examination is in order to make sure your whole body is functioning properly.

The following are some other medical procedures you should have done at least once a year if you have diabetes:

• Check your cholesterol to see your risk for heart and blood vessel disease.
  • Have a microalbumin urine test to check for kidney changes or damage.
  • Have a dilated eye examination to check for eye problems.
  • Have a complete foot exam.

Also be sure to have a yearly flu shot.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Types of Diabetes
Types of Diabetes
Diabetes affects people of all ages and from all walks of life. There are several types, but type 2 diabetes is by far the most common. Of the nearly ...
What is a diabetes educator?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Diabetes educators are specialists whose job it is to help you understand your diabetes better and t...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?