What should I do when I first start my diabetes management plan?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Weigh yourself on the day you start your diabetes management plan. Focus on monitoring and recording your blood sugar level, medications, and activity (if you have diabetes), eating appropriate amounts of carbohydrates, increasing your physical activity.

Objectives:
  • If you have diabetes, regularly test your blood sugar and keep a
           blood sugar/drug/food/exercise log.
  • Eat appropriate amounts of carbohydrates.
  • Eat three meals and two snacks each day, three snacks if you're
           taking in 2,250 calories daily.
  • Eat a Best Life Breakfast 
  • Eat lightly -- or not at all -- during the two hours before bedtime.
  • Eliminate sweetened beverages and alcohol.
  • Drink six glasses of water daily.
  • Increase your activity.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.